Get the most from your services with tips on the best content CityWest has to offer and tech tips from our local staff.
Every year the Internet is used more and more globally. It's helped changed the way to do business and communicate. This becomes even more true during the challenges of 2020.
With social distancing measures coming into place in March, Internet usage spiked drastically across the globe. A network management company from Waterloo found that overall Internet traffic increased by more than 40% between February 1st and April 19th. The majority of the increase happened in late March through April.
During this timeframe:
- YouTube made up 15% of all global Internet traffic
- Netflix made up 11% of global traffic
- WhatsApp messenger made up 12.78% of total Satellite traffic
The world's current population is an estimated 7.8 billion, with roughly 4.79 billion people worldwide having access to the Internet frequently. Meaning 61.4% of the world's population use the Internet consistently.
Since the year 2000, Internet usage has increased a staggering 1,157%. In that time we've witnessed the rise of social media, streaming, and e-commerce solutions.
Some interesting takeaways include:
- Since 2010, social media users worldwide have increased from 0.97 billion to 3.484 billion.
- YouTube leads streaming platforms with 1.8 billion unique monthly visitors
- Mobile e-commerce sales are expected to account for 72.9% of all online purchases by 2021.
The growing need for reliable Internet services has only become more apparent during the COVID-19 pandemic. More people are working and spending time at home. Additionally, there is an influx of smart devices coming into the home, putting more strain on your home's bandwidth.
Luckily, there are options to keep up with the demand. You can upgrade your Internet package to get more bandwidth, or add a WiFi Enhancer to strengthen the wireless signal throughout your home.