Get the most from your services with tips on the best content CityWest has to offer and tech tips from our local staff.
It's best practice to change your Wi-Fi password every couple of months for security reasons. Having a guest network will ensure that you don't have to update your friends and family on your new password every time they visit. It will also restrict your guest's access to just an Internet connection and nothing else.
If you have a Gigacenter, refer to the steps below. If you are using a 3rd party modem or router, please refer to the manufacturer's instructions.
Log in to the Gigacenter Web Interface:
Before setting up your guest network, you must log in to your Gigacenter's web interface. You can access this using an Internet browser. To access the web interface, you need the IP address, the user name (admin), and password. All of this information is printed on a label on your Gigacenter.
To log into the web interface:
- Launch your web browser and type in the IP address (192.168.1.1 in the above example)
- On the login screen that appear type "admin" in the User Name field. Type the password from your Gigacenter in the password field.
- Click the Login button.
How to change the name of your guest Wi-Fi Network
You can set up two guest networks with the Gigacenter, one for the 2.4GHz band and one for the 5GHz. By default, the guest Wi-Fi networks are turned off, so you have to turn them on using the web interface.
Follow the instructions below:
- On the web interface home screen, click wireless
- Click 2.4GHz Network on the side menu, then click SSID Setup
- From the dropdown menu beside the SSID field, select the default name of the 2.4GHz guest Wi-Fi network
- Click Enabled next to the SSID State field to turn on the 2.4GHz guest Wi-Fi network.
- In the Rename SSID field, type a new name for your 2.4GHz guest Wi-Fi network
- Click apply.
- Click on the 5G Network from the side menu, select SSID Setup and repeat the same steps.
Once you've set up your guest Wi-Fi networks, here's how to change the passwords.
- On the web interface home screen, click Wireless, then 2.4G Network.
- Click Security
- From the dropdown beside the SSID field, select the name of the 2.4GHz guest Wi-Fi network.
- Type your new password in the field, the click Apply.
- Repeat the same steps with the 5G network, using the same password as the 2.4GHz network.
- Click Logout.